Perhaps the question was poorly worded. Or perhaps it was a slip of a tired tongue.
Either way, Mitt Romney created a new tempest when he told an Ohio news station that he was opposed to a Senate amendment, favored by conservatives and under debate in Congress on Wednesday, that would allow employers and insurers to limit coverage of contraceptives if they have religious or moral objections.
“I’m not for the bill,” Mr. Romney said, but then added, “the idea of presidential candidates getting into questions about contraception within a relationship between a man and a women, husband and wife, I’m not going there.”
Mr. Romney seemed to be further distancing himself from the hard-edged social conservatism of his chief Republican rival, Rick Santorum, who has argued that contraception is damaging to society.
But in an apparent misunderstanding, Mr. Romney instead roused the momentary ire of many social conservatives, who already doubt his commitment to their cause.
Mr. Romney and his aides quickly corrected his remarks, saying he strongly supports the Senate amendment, and had not properly understood the question. (The slip followed a series of off-key comments about his wife’s Cadillacs and friends who own Nascar teams.)
This probably the least douchey thing Romney has said and it has pissed his party faithful off.
This is exactly the kind of bullshit we should expect once one party — and only one party — decides it’s up to them how to best exert control over everyone else’s bodies.
47 Notes/ Hide
- santorumforgop likes this
- florida-uterati reblogged this from agnesscottchoiceusa
- sayanythingkatie reblogged this from didyoueatallthisacid
- fistsoffolly likes this
- notabittamed reblogged this from didyoueatallthisacid
- politicsis reblogged this from inothernews
- timecubed reblogged this from inothernews
- eliamartell reblogged this from thenorthdismembers
- clearskymind likes this
- thenorthdismembers reblogged this from inothernews
- didyoueatallthisacid reblogged this from inothernews
- cognitivedissonance likes this
- phroyd reblogged this from inothernews
- phroyd likes this
- lunaticprophet reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- randomactsofchaos reblogged this from inothernews
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- gnostix1 likes this
- maibeitsmayberlline reblogged this from inothernews
- lookpeople likes this
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident reblogged this from inothernews
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident likes this
- welcometothemagpie reblogged this from inothernews
- welcometothemagpie likes this
- stillhidden likes this
- hitemupstyle20 reblogged this from inothernews
- ethereal-ineffability reblogged this from ubrfangrlsydney1
- sitasays likes this
- jonathan-cunningham likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from inothernews
- madamdoesnothing reblogged this from inothernews
- monagray likes this
- ubrfangrlsydney1 reblogged this from inothernews
- agnesscottchoiceusa reblogged this from inothernews
- peacelovemusichappyness likes this
- lifeonfiction likes this
- 12hourrelief likes this
- curiosojorge likes this
- lilianag said: Everyone else being women. I mean, I don’t heat them talking about outlawing vasectomies.
- newsballs reblogged this from inothernews
- inothernews posted this